One of those ultimate comfort foods especially in the United Kingdom, Cheese and Potato Pie is to the British what Macaroni and Cheese is to Americans. And, after reading about it I can see why-- easy to make, wholesome, warm and satisfying.
8 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons of milk
2 tablespoons of butter
175 grams of grated aged cheese (1 1/2 cups*)
1. Wash, peel, dice potatoes and onion.
2. Boil both potatoes and onions in salted water until potatoes are tender.
3. Drain, and mash together with milk and butter.
4. Gradually add the grated cheese, reserving a handful for the top.
4. Spoon mash in greased baking dish and top with remaining grated cheese.
5. Garnish with sliced tomatoes (optional).
6. Bake until cheese is golden brown.
*The Gourmet Sleuth has an excellent conversion tool for cooking.
To look at a stunning photo of this wondrous creation go here.
Any strong, maturely-flavored cheese will work well in this recipe. Try a Raclette, Gruyere, a bleu, a Gran Padano and see which you like best. But if what you got is mild cheddar, do that!