Friday, May 7, 2010

Let the "I" in "I Love You, Mom" Mean "Impact" This Year

The internet has ushered in an age of connectivity and sharing beyond what we could do only ten, fifteen years ago. Our world today is, and can be, much bigger than before. Right at our fingertips we can get a little closer, a little faster to the mundane routines of life, and yet at the same time, push further and farther beyond what we might normally entertain.
For example take Mother's Day. For several years now, I've been in the habit of sending e-cards, electronic cards via the internet, to my mother living in another country but not only to her, to my mother-in-law, my step-mother-in-law, and a few other not-related "mother"-like figures in my life. Five years ago though, I'd have to set aside more time to find the perfect cards, write something meaningful and get them posted and sent on time-- but only for the relatives.

This year, however, I'm going beyond that even. With a little extra thought I can make Mothers Day even more meaningful by sending an e-card that celebrates mothers who are less fortunate than I am. This e-card isn't free like the ones I've used in the past, but at the same time, this one may have a much more significant impact.

An eCard from The World Food Programme demonstrates that "I" remember the mothers who struggle to feed their children from day to day. It shows that "I" will do what I can to alleviate some of the suffering of mothers with AIDS. This eCard helps me to recognize that "I" am not here on this planet alone, and that with our excesses in wealth we can end hunger on a global scale.

Won't you join me in sending the perfect e-card for Mother's Day expression of love to those very special women both near and far.

No comments: